The condition known as dry mouth is fairly common, and has some equally common causes. It can be really uncomfortable, and is connected to several other dental conditions. At Jeff Gray DDS | Espire Dental in La Mesa CA, we want our patients to know: dry mouth is not a lost cause!
The medical term for dry mouth is xerostomia, which is pronounced zero-STO-me-ah. it can have a range of reasons, so our team has put together a list of the most common ones.
- Medications: It’s a common side effect of some drugs, which is a really good reason to read the labels.
- Lifestyle Choices: Physical exertion coupled with improper hydration can result in dry mouth. So can smoking or chewing tobacco, and alcohol. That includes alcohol-based mouthwash; another good reason to read labels.
- Aging: Estrogen, for example, drops in women after menopause, which may be linked to dry mouth.
- Asthma: Inhalers can result in dry mouth. So can mouth breathing, which is often seen in people with asthma.
- Type 2 Diabetes: Dry mouth is, in fact, a symptom of Type 2 diabetes.
Dental Problems Caused By Dry Mouth
One of the key functions of saliva is washing food debris from the mouth, and fighting the bacteria that cause cavities. A reduced saliva flow leaves you vulnerable to several dental problems. We have listed them below, so you can stay informed.
- Tooth decay.
- Gum disease.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- A condition called burning mouth syndrome.
The most obvious solution to dry mouth is to drink more water. That often does the trick, but not always. You can also avoid salty foods, beverages with caffeine and/or alcohol, and smoking.
Another good idea is to try artificial saliva. You can find it in most drug stores, and it comes in several forms, including an oral spray, swabs, dissolving tablets, and gel.
Above all, be sure to tell us about it at Jeff Gray DDS | Espire Dental in La Mesa CA. We can make a recommendation that is best for you. People from San Diego, Alpine, El Cajon, and Santee trust us with their dental health, and come to our office for general and cosmetic dentistry. Request an appointment today!
Contact Jeff Gray DDS | Espire Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):